Skip to main content

A Certain Thing I'm Thankful For



It’s hard writing how much Bro. Eli Soriano means to me.

It will be his 50th birthday in the spirit come April 7 this year. And fathoming feelings of love and gratitude for a person as special as he is is never easy.

Most certainly, such depths of emotion do not stem from fanaticism as some may easily and soullessly accuse me of. For if some take a great deal of joy hearing their religious leader greet them in their own tongue once in a while, how much more others whose preacher untiringly answers their scriptural queries and solves their spiritual problems, for free might I add?

Nevertheless, this humble piece of writing is not one of contention, but of celebration. And as mentioned, of love and gratitude to a Filipino, a preacher, a leader like Bro. Eli Soriano. 

Where It All Began 

Thirteen years ago, my uncle brought me to this “magical” place called “Convention Center” in Apalit, Pampanga. In my head, it was the only term I could find to describe a place where people are fed for free, widows are taken care of, and thanksgiving abounds.

Yes, I was young, but certainly wasn’t gullible. In fact, this all happened after my cloud of anger against my uncle and Bro. Eli had finally dissipated.

(Read: Thanksgiving Roots and Fruits, In Summer and For All Seasons)

Cutting the story short, my hate sprung from the idea of my uncle and Bro. Eli bad-mouthing the religion I grew up in. Perhaps, because rejection was the easier thing to do.

Certainly however, it was an unmindful and unfair act towards my uncle, and especially towards a person I have never met all my life, and have not done anything of the sort towards me.

Thankfully, I dismissed the resentful idea and gave the actual person a chance. So I went to Apalit, Pampanga. 

A Very Memorable First 

Travelling before the sun’s rays reached the earth, I arrived at the ADD Convention Center early in the morning in a navy blue shirt, long white shorts and a baseball cap in my hand.

It was my first time there. And my very first encounter of people so polite you wouldn’t believe it, offering help with the smallest of things and giving smiles that can warm the most frozen of hearts.

When it was time for prayer and I saw people rushing to kneel down and heard them crying, it left me in awe.

It was April 7, 2001 — Bro. Eli’s 37th spiritual birthday. 

Happy Birthday Bro. Eli 

The time for Thanksgiving presentations came and there were various special numbers; it was a special day after all. There were those who recited poems accentuated by sincere gestures. Some sang, some danced. It was all very large but pleasing to take in.

When I approached that blessed stage where the performances were, I remember touching it. In my opinion, it was the modern equivalent of the altar upon which Old Israel presented their offerings to God.

And as I saw Bro. Eli there, it sunk in the more to me that for people to do these things, primarily for God, he was truly a very good man.

Through the years, I have heard deeply wonderful things about the Bible and about the Lord, delivered in all sincerity, purity, and wisdom.

It has become harder than ever to find a word that bears thanks, love you, take care and so much more in it.

Certainly however, with God’s help and mercy, all the praise I feel in me will never ever be for Bro. Eli, nor for Bro. Daniel Razon who has been there faithfully loving the brethren all this time. No.

All the honor and glory belong to God, who gave me and so many other people across the globe preachers who want nothing else in life, but for us and them to be saved. And that is a certain thing I'm very much thankful for.

Thanks be to God for Bro. Eli Soriano! To God be the glory!

#BESat50

Photo Source: What I'm Thankful For

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vandolph Thanks MCGI for Aid to Late Comedy King

Months after his father, Dolphy Quizon, passed away at age 83 due to multiple organ failure, Vandolph still remembers all the people who helped the Philippines’ late Comedy King. So on September 30, the third and last day of the Members Church of God International’s quarterly Thanksgiving, Vandolph dropped by the ADD Convention Center in Pampanga to give thanks to God and the Church. “First of all, thank God, of course,” remarked Vandolph after greeting “Hello and a good evening to all, to the whole world!” Especially in International Thanksgivings when the whole Church offers thanks to God, MCGI uses Internet and satellite facilities to connect remote points across the Philippines and the globe. From left: Jenny Quizon with Vandolph and Dinky Doo talking to Bro. Eli Soriano via live video streaming on September 30, 2012 at the ADD Convention Center, Pampanga. (Photo courtesy of Photoville International) “To all those who prayed and helped, on behalf of my siblings and fami

A Timely Run Against Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)

What do 7,107 islands stand against possibly 'the strongest storm to form on the planet this year' ? A timely run in the right direction. UNTV , the Philippines Public Service Channel will be offering Community Prayer schedules everyday where people can pray right from their homes or offices. People can join the prayers through their television sets or mobile phones via www.untvweb.com or by downloading the UNTV mobile app. Times for the Community Prayer will be as follows: 04:00 am (in Filipino), 12:00 nn (in Filipino), 08:10 pm (in Filipino), 10:00 pm (in English), 12:00 mn (in English). The media network's primary proponent of social good, Bro. Eli Soriano , initiated the service in cooperation with UNTV CEO Daniel Razon . The idea is attuned with the 33rd Anniversary Theme of Ang Dating Daan or The Old Path: Building a Prayerful Nation Through Broadcast Evangelization. Bro. Eli Soriano and Bro. Daniel Razon are also the leaders of the Mem